The Georgia Virtual Technical Connection (GVTC) serves as the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) conduit for distance and technology enhanced education. GVTC manages the system wide Learning Management System (LMS) that is utilized by all the state’s technical colleges. The current LMS being utilized by TCSG is Blackboard Learn.
The Blackboard Learn platform supports the delivery of online content by providing students and instructors a secure logon environment into their virtual classroom. Instructors and/or course developers design, develop, and deliver course content and materials in and through the LMS. Students interact with the content, the instructor, and other students while attending their virtual course.
GVTC also oversees and manages several additional applications that enable, enhance, and support distance and blended education:
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (offers synchronous learning via a webinar type environment)
- Respondus (used to create assessments, exams, and question banks all of which can be delivered via the LMS or used in a face-to-face environment through printed versions.)
- SmarterMeasure (online evaluation tool designed to assist students in determining their readiness for distance education)
- Softchalk (allows the design of web based learning content that can be used as a standalone resource or imported into the existing LMS platform)
- Studymate Campus (allows the creation of Flash-based activates and games that can be incorporated into the virtual classroom or serve as stand-alone resources)
- TurnItIn Direct – (allows instructors to verify originality of written papers, as well as providing a tool for feedback )
GVTC strives to ensure that the instructor and/or course developer workforce of the Technical College System of Georgia is afforded a vast array of tools, training, and support assisting them in the development and delivery of the highest quality online content possible.